Spring means so many wonderful things are beginning to grow in the garden! One of my favourites and super easy to grow is rhubarb. Fun to say (and eat), rhubarb is an awesome plant that provides a unique, slightly bitter taste combo.
Two of the best kitchen tips when it comes to rhubarb:
- The redder the stalks the sweeter.
- Don’t eat the leaves, ever….they are poisonous.
Here’s how to make killer rhubarb compote
- 1 pound of rhubarb
- 1 cup of cane sugar
- 1/2 lemon juice
- Grab yourself a large pot, throw it on the stove and heat it to medium
- Wash your rhubarb stalks, cut them into 1/2 inch pieces and knock ’em in the pot
- Add sugar and lemon juice and a lid! The lid will help sweat the rhubarb.
- Turn down low and stir occasionally. In 20 mins you are done!
Serve hot or cold with a scoop (or 3!) of your favorite ice cream. Keep in mind, any uneaten compote makes a beautiful morning addition to pancakes, waffles, crepes, toast, scones……you get the idea!
Get creative, have fun, be wild. Eat. Enjoy.